Thursday, December 11, 2014

There's a Storm A'comin

   This morning, the local news was full of talk about an enormous storm that is going to dump bucketfuls of rain here on the Central Coast. There's going to be high winds - 30 to 60 mph. There's even something called an atmospheric river associated with this storm, "a narrow region of highly concentrated atmospheric water vapor transport." Never heard that before and I've lived here my whole life.
   I went outside this morning to take my dog for her morning constitutional and to get a feel for the day. The wind, a precursor to the main part of the storm, was crazy. I had to lean into it to stay upright.

   As alarming as this storm is, the skies were spectacular. As I stood, bracing myself against the wind, I found myself awestruck by the beauty of the sky. The clouds, dark and full or rain, were streaked by a light that was breathtaking. I rejoiced.
   This storm has the capacity to bring sorely needed water to a state that's been severely compromised by the lack of water. Much good will come from this storm; but hand-in-hand with that will be some bad. Isn't that just the way of life ... learning to weather life's tempests.
      In the midst, it helps to find a moment of joy.

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” ~ Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment